There are no secret formulas, no secret recipes or magic potions when it comes to social media marketing. All you’ve gotta do is take in one single fact: People have moved lots of their behaviors online and you’ve gotta follow.
To succeed in moving your business, communication and advertising into the digital world, ask yourselves the following questions:
- If people search for things related to my business via Google – how can I make sure they find me?
- We’ve used to organize events in the real world – where can we organize events in the digital world?
- When people started to use phones you gave your sales people phones – why are you not giving them Skype, MSN, Twitter, Facebook and live streaming accounts?
- You would never automate a personal relation that could lead to sales – why are you automatic every single sales process online?
- People don’t listen to brands, they listen to other people – how can we make sure other people say good things about us?
- Since people tend to spend their time alone behind the screen – how can we continue to build human digital relations using video, photos and copy?
- In the real world you do PR towards paid media – how can you shift your PR activities to be picked up by earned media online?
- Traditionally you’ve spent lots of money on media – how can you shift focus to spending lots of money on value that leads to eyeballs online?
- In the offline world you would value how people navigate in your store – how much do you value how people navigate in your online world?
- Building a great house requires an well paid architect – why then are you hiring the cheapest architect when building a great online presence?
- In the old world comparing products was hard – does your products stand the future transparency were everything can be compared?
- Back then you could create a 3 year marketing plan – what can you do to turn it into a 3 month marketing plan?
- Focus groups used to lead you right – is your organization prepared to listen to real time data instead?
- Building brands took years and years – how can you build your brand in months?
- Competitors introduced themselves at the next fair – are you prepared for the ones who wont introduce themselves at all and don’t care about the old way of doing business, only your old customers?
- You used to write business plans – how can you get moving and learn on the way.
If you’ve got 15 right answers then you’re fine. If not – start running!